Acne is a skin condition that happens when the hair follicles get clogged with dead skin cells and oils on the skin, leading to the formation of pus-like substances known as acne. It is quite irritating and uncomfortable, especially if it occurs all over the face and body too.
It is the most common skin issues in the world, affected a large number of youth, at some point in their lives.
Causes of acne:
The main cause of acne is oily skin. With the onset of puberty, the skin produces a large amount of oil everyday which sometimes due to improper hygiene may lead to the accumulation of sweat, dirt, and oil, clogging the skin pores and development of acne over a long period of time. It is a chronic problem, which takes time to heal.
Before acne develops on the skin, there were whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, cysts, and nodules. All these are part of acne, the beginning of acne, which accumulates in the skin for a long duration.
During puberty, the sebaceous gland, get activated and produce more oil than normality. The oil gets clogged with the hairs follicles along with the dead cells on the skin and slowly whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples appear and with time, formed into acne.
Acne occurs to people of ages between 12-30, but some people do get acne at 40. This may be due to improper hygiene and sometimes putting too much makeup clogged the skin pores and leads to acne.
Another cause of acne is food. The food habits that we have especially during the growing stages of the body have an adverse effect on the skin. Having oily and junk food every day is not good for the skin or for the body.
These foods produce a large number of toxins in the body that needs to be cleaned daily. Oily food produces more breakouts on the skin. As much possible, avoid oily and junk food for healthy skin.
How to prevent Acne:
Preventing is better than cure. Acne can easily with these simples steps:
- Cleanliness: Proper hygiene is a must. Wash your face at least twice a day with plain water or with a mild cleanser. Use scrub once a week to get rid of the dead cells that may clog the pores.
- Healthy diet: Eating fresh fruits and vegetables will not only give you good skin but a healthy body too. Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of vitamins and nutrients that help in producing healthy cells growth in the body.
- Drink plenty of water: Water is one of the best remedies for clear skin. Drink 8-9 glasses of water daily to keep the skin well hydrated and moist. Water remove excess oil from the skin, hence fewer chances of acne formation
- Exercise: Make it a habit to exercise every morning. Exercise reduces stress and tension in the body. Stress also leads to the formation of pimples and acne. The moment you feel stress and tense, take a break and start meditation or do some exercise to release negative energy and bring forth positive energy.
- Use the right cream: The facial cream that we use daily also leads to skin breakouts. Using the right cream is necessary depending on the skin type. If you have oily skin, use a cream that is not oily. This will help prevent further breakouts.
Minimum use of makeup: Less is more! Avoid using heavy makeup. Used minimal makeup as much as possible and always wash your makeup before going to bed. Do not sleep with a makeup.
Here are some fun facts you need to know about acne.
- It is a skin disease that involves oil glands in the skin. Oily skins are more prone to acne.
- It affects people of ages 12-30. It starts from puberty and continues throughout if not taking care of.
- It is not dangerous but it can leave a scar.
- Treatment can always be done either through self-care or through medication.
- Some risk factors may involve, like the genetic factor, anxiety, stress, and menstrual cycle.
- Physical factor like squeezing, oil-based makeup, increase the risk of pimples and acne formation.
There are many types of acne treatment depending on skin type and the method people want to treat it. Here I will be showing you two methods to treat acne.
- Through medication and
- Through natural treatment
The medication treatment:
Many creams and medicines are available in the market to reduce or cure acne problems, but these medicines should be used only under doctor supervision.
Medication treatment used medicines as a way of treatment. It could be ayurvedic medicine, allopathy medicines or homeopathy medicines depending on a personal choice.
Before using or consuming any kind of medicine, consult a physician first or a skin specialist because there are many factors that lead to the formation of acne.
The natural treatment:
This treatment uses natural remedies that are available at home. Many people adopt this method until and unless the problem is severe. Natural treatment is harmless and has no side effects. Here are few methods to get rid of your acne issue.
- Apply Apple cider vinegar: It is rich in organic acids that have shown to kill the bacteria that cause acne.
Simply take apple cider in a cotton ball and rub it gently over the affected area and leave for few minutes, then wash with cold water. This will reduce the risk of bacteria formation and hence reduce breakouts.
- Sandalwood face mask: Sandalwood has the property to neutralize the skin pH value and thus reduce acne problem.
Take Sandalwood and add few drops of rose water in it till a paste is formed. Apply this on the face, as a face mask and wait till it’s dry and wash with cold water.
- Green tea: Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants, it promotes good health and healthy skin.
Apply green tea to your skin, will lower the risk of pimples and breakouts. Boil green tea and allow it to cool. Take cotton balls and gently rub your face with this green tea.
Green tea also helps in toning the skin and gives a smooth glowing tone to the skin.
- Exfoliate regularly: Exfoliate removes dead skin cells and excess oil from the skin and prevents from clogging. Use a mild or natural scrub to exfoliates once or twice a week.
Acne is a skin issue which can be prevented and cure if we follow these simple steps in our daily routine. Do let us know what you think on the comment section below.